Listed below are top policies to ensure employees are aligned for the New Year.
- Hiring/Promotion - Making sure the right people get into the right job with required documentation. Do you have a set hiring process? Do you retain e-mailed resumes?
- Performance Reviews - Communicating job performance to ensure employees are aligned for profit. An opportunity for employees and the company to clearly define what is needed to be successful in current and future job opportunities. Does your organization perform meaningful performance reviews?
- Employee Compensation - Employee classification, review periods, pay levels and/or benefits. Do your employees understand their compensation?
- Reward and Recognition - Acknowledging a formal process for top performers. Do you have a reward program for employees?
- Periodic Training - Annual training to ensure new and old employees know what is needed to be successful in and for the organization. Do you have periodic training? Who do you have within your organization conducting training.
- Harassment/Workplace Violence - The a great place to work is an essential element in profitable organizations. Do employees know what is not tolerable in the organization?
- Social Media - There has been an increase in employment termination cases over negative social media postings. Providing guidelines for the effective use of social media to maintain a positive business image clearly sets positive expectations for employees. Do you have a social media policy. Does someone manage social media for you? If yes, what happens if they leave the company?
- Time Off - Defining standard holidays, sick, vacation and FMLA Requirements. Do your employees know what time they need to take off for a sick child?
- Telecommuting - Explaining who qualifies, hours and required resources. How do employees work from home today? How do you know if they are productive?
- Procurement/Use of Subcontracted Resources - Guidelines for selecting the right resources for the right job. How do you select independent and sub contractors?
Each month we will go into depth on how the above policies can reduce the conflict in the work environment and how it can provide you with the resources tomitigate litigation risk and/or expense.